Updated: Nov 18, 2021
There are so many skincare trends out there, some are not so good for the planet (like 12-step beauty routines generating mountains of packaging waste) and some can help reduce our negative impact on the environment. Read on to find out why waterless beauty can be beneficial to your skin, wallet and environment.
The power of water
We all love the refreshing shower, dip in an ocean, a splash of water to rinse the day off or a glass of water to hydrate and cool our bodies. We can't live without it, our planet would be a barren land without water, no doubt. And a boring one! Imagine life without watersports!
But do we really need to use water-based products in our daily beauty routine, as the best way to hydrate the skin is from the inside?
Adding water as a filler to the product reduces its costs (to the manufacturer), but dilutes it and makes it less effective. This in turns means you need to buy more of it. The more you buy, the more packaging waste is generated. This doesn't sound like an eco-friendly, sustainable skincare routine...But is waterless beauty a solution?
Benefits of waterless beauty products
Waterless beauty is not a total solution. Water is used during the manufacturing process (think cleaning and sanitising of the equipment, water used during growing and harvesting of the ingredients, water added during consumer use); nevertheless, it can help reduce your environmental footprint and can be very beneficial to your skin, hair and wallet. How? Read on to learn about the five benefits of waterless beauty.
1. Reducing packaging waste: by using waterless beauty products you buy less because waterless beauty formulas are concentrated. By buying less you reduce the packaging waste.
2. You only pay for the active ingredients: waterless beauty products may cost more, but since they are concentrated they last much longer. You only pay for the ingredients that provide real benefits to your skin and hair. Just don't forget to drink 2 litres of water a day to keep your body hydrated!
3. You buy longer-lasting products: waterless beauty products are much more potent than water containing formulas. The higher the concentrate, the less product you need and the longer it lasts.
4. Ethically sourced ingredients: waterless beauty products are often produced from vegan, organic, high quality and ethically sourced ingredients. This may bring the price up, but ethical sourcing and manufacturing gives you higher quality beauty products and also reduces the overall negative environmental impact of chemically fuelled farming.
5. Minimise the use of plastic: waterless products can be packed in paper and glass. Glass can be recycled indefinitely without the loss of quality, and it is such a beautiful packaging material! Have you seen our Miron glass oil bottles? Paper packaging can be composted and is much lighter than other types of packaging, reducing its transport carbon footprint further - check our lovely dry shampoos and powder face cleanser packaged in compostable cardboard shaker tubes.
Switching to waterless beauty can help reduce our negative impact on the environment and help conserve the most precious resource - water and protect our beautiful planet. what's there not to love in this beauty trend?
Head to Bunch shop to choose waterless beauty!